Despite the summer holidays being in full swing, the UK’s cost-of-living crisis has led to Britons cutting back on holidays in a bid to save money and steer clear of costly roaming charges.
According to new research by iD Mobile, the mobile virtual network operator from Currys, a third of adults aren’t planning a trip abroad this year, with nearly half (45%) cutting back their spending due to the cost-of-living crisis.
For the 60% of Brits going abroad this year, 90% of them will be packing their mobile phone – which is now seen as one of the most essential items for Brits to pack when travelling. However, despite the necessity of having their mobile phone, only half of Brits (49%) are prepared for using their phone abroad freely, with the other half (51%) not having either a roaming option or bundle included in their mobile phone plan whilst away.
READ MORE: How to get superfast broadband with Sky for free
Surprisingly, 71% of people say they wouldn’t even expect to pay for roaming charges when on holiday. That’s despite of a third (27%) of adults saying they have been hit by unexpected roaming charges on their phone bill when they have returned from their holiday, averaging a whopping £262.
With the likes of Three, Vodafone, EE and Sky now charging for roaming, it is no surprise holidaymakers are being caught out. It’s also easy to see why Brits are experiencing roaming-related “bill shocks”, with adults under the age of 44 spending an average of eight hours a day on their phone whilst on holiday; either taking photos and videos, contacting people at home, researching nearby activities and attractions, using maps and navigation and finding good restaurants or bars.
Data roaming is is when a mobile phone is used outside of its home network, so overseas, and connects to another available cell network. Before the UK left the EU, Britons could use their monthly allowances of calls, data and texts while in 28 destinations in the EU for no extra charge.
Now the UK is no longer part of the EU some mobile providers have reintroduced roaming charges, while others are allowing customers to still roam for free. With this in mind, we have compiled a list of the providers who have not reintroduced EU roaming charges, therefore offering free data roaming for their customers.
Switching to a network provider who offer free data roaming can be a simple and effective way to save money at home and whilst abroad. We’ve compiled a list below of some of the best SIM deals that offer free data roaming.
iD Mobile has inclusive roaming in 50 destinations worldwide coming on a standard phone and SIM only plan. That means customers can use their inclusive data, minutes, and texts abroad in these 50 destinations, just like they do when they’re in the UK. See their deals here.
Lyca Mobile offer SIM-only plans and phone plans, as well as data bolt-ons. Their SIM-only mobile plans include:
- National Plus – for new SIM customers, £10 for 30 days. Includes 15GB of data, unlimited UK minutes and texts, 100 international minutes and EU roaming.
- UK Plan Super Extra – for new SIM customers, £15 for 30 days. Includes 30GB of data, unlimited UK minutes and texts, 100 international minutes and EU roaming.
- UK Plan Mega Plus – for new SIM customers, £20 for 30 days. Includes 100GB data, unlimited UK minutes and texts, 100 international minutes and EU roaming.
New Lyca Mobile customers can also get a 50% discount on these plans for the first three months.
O2 offer SIM-only deals as well as handset plans. Here are some of their best offers currently:
- Plus Plan – gives customers 30GB data on a SIM-only plan which is for 24 months at £15 a month, includes unlimited minutes and texts, free data roaming (including USA), six months free Apple Music and six months of Disney+ or Amazon Prime Video.
- Pay as you go – the cheapest pay as you go SIM deal we have seen costs £10 credit and gives O2 customers 7GB of data, unlimited minutes and texts, free data roaming and the ability to claim £10 free credit back, only online.
- Nothing Phone 1 – they currently have the brand new Nothing Phone 1 handset on a 36 month device plan for just £10 upfront and then £24.20 a month. This includes 256GB of memory, 3GB data, unlimited minutes and texts, free data roaming and more.
Find out more about O2’s EU roaming here.
Motorists could get £5,000 fine if they do these two things while driving
Watch The Princess: The Story of Princess Diana, the exclusive documentary on Sky
How to get one year Disney+ subscription for less than £20
I tried Pura Collagen to help me look youthful for years to come